Thursday, September 18, 2014

The Un-Examined Life...

Socrates talks about how the life of any individual should be lived to the fullest. He says that the 'unexamined life is not worth living.' To me I believe it meant that every person should check themselves before they wreck themselves. Like honestly, you have to constantly be aware of what you're doing and how you're acting. Socrates believed that every person needed to have the right principles. By this I believe he meant that every person needed to live morally correct in order to live good lives. But when I take this in I question it: what is morally correct? What does it really mean to have right morals? 

Nowadays with all the wars going on I sit and wonder, why? The first signs of war occurred because of religion. The thing that bugs me is that most of these religions talk about peace and how killing is a sin, but god forbid that somebody doesn't believe in what you believe. Only then is it 'morally correct' to kill...?

Another example would be the U.S. and how they feel as if they have the right to just walk into any country that they think has too much violence, as if they can prevent violence. The U.S. may not be the most violent country, but there sure is violence around the country. To tie it back, the U.S. government should 'examine their life.' Their life is the country. The U.S. should examine the country and it's people because you can't just present peace in other countries when your own country has people killing each other. I'm really uptight about hypocrisy so I will bash on anything that seems remotely hypocritical. Unfortunately, the U.S. happens to be very hypocritical and I hate it because I really do like me country. 

So to summarize it all up, I feel like Socrates just wants everybody to really think about what they're doing with their lives. He wants us, as people, to realize that there's always something wrong and that we can always correct it. In a way I feel that if you examine your life, it's sort of like a second chance in which you can decide whether to be a 'good person' or a 'bad person.' 

No comments:

Post a Comment